Serving in detention
Depending on their needs, our visitors offer different services to refugees and migrants in detention centres or in return-houses.
- Provide moral support;
- Suggest a visit by a friendly visitor, if they wish;
- Inform the detainee about detention procedures and timelines, the detainee’s rights,…
- Help detainees stay in contact with the outside world: family, lawyers, doctors, other organisations, and so on; and
- Make contacts with social services.
In the coming few years, JRS Belgium aims to:
- Improve the quality of legal aid for detainees, e.g. by setting up a legal aid fund;
- Improve the medical and psychological services available to detainees, e.g. by setting up a medical aid fund.