The focus of our advocacy work are migrants that are detained on the grounds of their immigrant status. Both the European and the Belgian legislations state that detention should be exceptional. There is an urgent need to establish alternatives to the detention of migrants.
In order to defend the rights of refugees and forced migrants, JRS Belgium has joined forces with other organisations that also have access to closed detention centres (Transit group).
In the coming years, the work of JRS Belgium will focus on:
- Improving the quality of the legal aid provided during detention;
- Keeping families together;
- Living conditions of vulnerable people in detention centres; and
- The context and conditions of forced removal of immigrants.
The work of the JRS is based on:
- Regular contacts with refugees and forced migrants;
- On our accompaniment and serving missions;
- Specific JRS Belgium projects; and
- Inspired by the spirituality of St. Ignace.